The Cooking merit badge becomes required for Eagle starting January 1, 2014. The requirements are being revised effective January 1, 2015 but are available now, and the revised merit badge pamphlet is due out in early 2014.
- Scouts can complete the badge using the current requirements as long as they start prior to January 1, 2015, or they may use the new requirements. They must use all of the old, or all of the new, requirements. There’s no mixing-and-matching allowed.
- Starting January 1, 2015, Scouts beginning the Cooking merit badge must use the new requirements.
- Any Scout submitting an Eagle application after January 1, 2014 is required to have earned Cooking.
- Scouts who have already earned Cooking do not need to earn it again to meet the Eagle requirement.
Here is an article from Scouting Magazine listing the new requirements.
Many new merit badges and updates to existing ones have been rolled out this summer. Here’s a synopsis:
- The Cycling merit badge adds a mountain bike option. Here’s a story on the changes from Scouting Magazine.
- The Sustainability merit badge became available at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree. Read the requirements and get ready to earn this new merit badge, which will become Eagle-required starting next year.
- The Programming merit badge, a tech-focused merit badge for the 21st century, also was released at Jamboree. Here are the requirements.
- Both traditional and video games are covered by the new Game Design merit badge released earlier this year. Here’s more information on this sure-to-be-popular badge.
Scouts wishing to explore these merit badges should follow the usual procedure by first talking with Mr. Heslop to obtain a blue card and a referral to a counselor. (more…)